Tuesday, June 10, 2014

One month later

Oh, it's been a while.
Studying, studying and still more studying.
I forgot about blog. I thought features that I have learned are not important or interesting. Just regular programming. But this is not true.
For example, on POSA course I ran into interesting problems with my classmates, I had interesting conversations with other, and we help each other.

So, a little report:
28 or 37 chapters of Big Nerd Ranch Guide done. Not bad result. I have some conclusions about this books, it will be some kind of review later. In one sentence: I would not recommend this book to folks, who wrote their first Java HelloWorld yesterday.

7 of 14 chapters of Head First Design Patterns done too. Not so good result.

5 weeks of Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 1 - and this is most interesting part of my studying. Nothing to do with Android, but very interesting math and algorithmic problems.

And, of course, POSA. There are some awkwardness with this course: quizzes are the same as questions in lectures, and weird manner of reading this lectures. May be programming assignments are not so difficult.

But! I have learned a lot of new approaching of synchronizations of multithreading applications. I thought, that I'm experienced Java programmer, but I was wrong. Yes, I knew about starting threads, about synchronized methods and blocks and about thread executors. But there are a lot of usable stuff  besides: ReentrantLockReentrantReadWriteLockSemaphoreConditionCountDownLatch. Programming assignments are build in manner, when we have to use all this classes one by one to build another classes. E.g. we have implemented our own Semaphores with Java native Conditions and Locks.
I'm going to enhance final example and show it here, but later, because grading is not finished yet.

And this just pure Java, and there are more interesting mechanisms, provided by Android.

And few words about professor - Douglas C. Schmidt. Guy is really great, he pays a lot of attention to students, trying to answer in every forum thread. Also he performs online meeting with students, where helps with problems. Doug is real computer scientist.

So, my pace is good, but I can do better. Two important things TODO:
1. Write to blog.
2. Time to program real app! 

No comments:

Post a Comment